Saturday, February 16, 2013

Grandma Rafferty


This is my Grandma Rafferty. Here we are with my kids and my mom this past summer. The last time I saw her - the last time I will ever see her.

Grandma Rafferty always baked the best treats - her peanut butter fudge was to die for.

Grandma Rafferty always had sweet cereals in her pantry - breakfast was delicious at her house.

Grandma Rafferty always was crafty, she could sew anything - including that ridiculous Wilma Flintstone costume I wore as a senior in high school.

Grandma Rafferty always gave me $10 for Christmas, some years I also received a knitted hanger - I still use those hangers for sweaters that hang.

Grandma Rafferty had seven children, when she was asked how she wasn't crazy she replied "of course I am crazy" - I love that line, I use that line often.

Grandma Rafferty died early this morning. I am flying to New York tomorrow to attend her funeral. The odd thing about living so far away is that people don't really exist in your life, in your day to day routine, they are not there. I can't remember the last time Grandma Rafferty was in my day to day routine, but it's been a while. A very long while. As a result, I won't really know she's not here anymore until I don't visit her next summer. I will realize she is not on my list of people to see and it will hit me - bam, right in the middle of summer.

Right now I am trying to accommodate the fact that I no longer have grandparents. I think how distant my great-grandparents were to me - my last one died when I was two or three, I had her name but she seemed so ancestor-like. I realize that my children will think about Great-Grandma Rafferty (that Elizabeth always called Grandma Rhapsody, which I think she liked) will just think of her as an ancestor. She'll show up on their family tree and they'll say, oh yeah, Nana's Mother. But they will have no idea that her peanut butter fudge was unbelievable and that she could sew costumes that were amazing.

I have to remember her story so that I can tell her story.

10 comments:

Erin Hubel said...

Such a nice story for a great lady!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Leah!
Loved it AK

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your grandma's story. Now your kids will know! And I love the photo with the wall of everyone's heights behind you.

Anonymous said...

Hi there colleagues, pleasant articlе аnd nice
arguments сommented at this placе, I
am genuinelу enjoying by these.

Αlsο vіsit my ωеb sitе: kiri.cl

Anonymous said...

Its such as yоu гeаd my mіnd!
You аppear to grasp so much about thiѕ,
like you wrotе the e-book in it oг something.
I bеlіеvе thаt you just саn do
with a few p.c. to driѵе thе message house a little
bit, but othеr than thаt, that is wonԁerful blog.

А grеаt read. I'll certainly be back. rippon lodge prince william county - rippln app - rippln mobile

my web page; rippln reviews

Anonymous said...

Τouche. Outstanԁіng argumentѕ.
Keеp up the amаzing work.

my websіte: raspberry ketone

riya said...

I must say this is brilliant selection! but I must add one that I've heard a lot of buzz about, and having looked at the site myself must say its very impressive.
to anyone that enjoyed these blogs be sure to check it out.stylehoops

rahul said...

nice

Eu-Cigs.com said...

Nice post, thanks for posting.

maymay said...

The top fashion will begin for you to stream soon after wherever your current chanel replica normally concludes. This specific element can be effectively outlined by simply whether solid bow as well as more refined. Stylist Clothing Idea: Should your costume is often a reliable coloring along with should be jazzed way up a lttle bit, try out some brilliant sneakers or possibly a colorful handbags. You may be sure you come up with a popular affirmation! Dark-colored gaucho leg protection develop a comfy/casual search. That they balance out your expecting a baby system using vast wider with no causing you to search podgy. That they fake louis vuitton bags sale a good, classy appearance and feel. Stylist Clothing Idea: Don gaucho leg protection which has a reservoir prime to produce a bohemian fashion that will will most likely cause you to be experience lovely along with cozy. I am just certainly not speaking about variety installing tv surfaces, nevertheless fake gucci bags, surfaces which may have a heap of textile to make sure they are certainly not way too needy. Tv surfaces can be a elegant, exciting approach to enable your current standard maternity dress. These kind of surfaces present your current lovely, blank shoulder blades most even though hiding your current expecting a baby abdomen. Stylist Clothing Tips: On the days out and about, consider using a dark-colored sequined tv prime which has a darker denim knee-length blouse. Sweaters are generally the best way to louis vuitton replica hats hot and search popular. Key a few links near the top of your cardigan along with enable all of those other cardigan put wide open. Match an ordinary cardigan which has a shaded prime gucci replica for you to vamp way up your lifestyle.