Friday, March 23, 2007

Shell-Shocked Students

Mostly I am a mean professor. I don't really care about students all that much, at least personally. I don't care what they had for breakfast. I don't care who they're dating. I don't care if they are liberal or conservative. I care that they are exposed to political science and learn the material so that they will analyze politics in the future. Period.

I care about some more personally because I get to know them outside of class. But inside class, I don't care. I am mean...mean...mean...No one will ever tell anyone that I was the best teacher they ever had, and I'm okay with that, as long as they tell people they understand politics reasonably and not passionately.

Which means I give hard assignments. But today, in the class I am sitting in as they are working, I gave an easy assignment. They are all surprised. They are all looking for the secret Murray trick that makes this assignment much harder than it is.

Students are funny.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And, that's why I love you!!

Eris said...

You were the best teacher I ever had. But you were a bitch.