Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Big Day

Today was awesome for me. I sat with my daughter in my lap as we watched the inauguration. She cheered for Aretha Franklin's stirring rendition of My Country Tis of Thee (mostly because she likes music). I cried when President Obama gave his address. I thought it was in the tradition of Lincoln's 2nd inaugural - not a victory speech, but a speech given by a leader to take us out of hard times. It was very special for me to share this with the Princess. And I thought, the first president elected while I was alive was Carter (blech) and how lucky for her that she gets to have Obama for her first. Very cool.

Then she ran around the house saying "Obammma!" Which made me cry again.

1 comment:

Eris said...

Something about experiencing this with your kids makes it "more so." I had the same experience. And for the record:
1 Clinton, 1 Bush II, and now 1 Obama. It's making me like the Littlest Ms. Eris more...