Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Conference

I went to a teaching and learning conference last week. I spent four days away from my family to have intellectual intercourse. My university paid for this trip in these very lean times. The conference was about civic engagement in political science courses and political scientists presented ideas about civic engagement assignments. It was great. At one point a woman presented an assignment that was essentially a simulation. I do simulations all the time, they are great for learning for students. And generally, the kids love them. But, I argued at the conference, they are not civic engagement. If the student has not left the classroom, then the student has not done civic engagement. My raising this offended the woman and she didn't speak again.

Today I was chatting with some friends about this. I was told that I wasn't influencing people or winning friends and that I take stuff too seriously.

I've been mulling this over. I was at a conference, again, intellectual intercourse. First of all, there should be nothing offensive in an intellectual conversation about how to teach. We should all bring our best game and then have a great argument about it. If indeed it is the case that we can achieve civic engagement without leaving the classroom, prove it to me. I am skeptical enough to think that even my own position could be wrong. Second of all, the woman's response to me was, "I knew someone would say that." Really? If so, you have brilliantly anticipated a question and you should have a good answer. Not a pout for the next two days, but a good answer. Oh, and since I am really into intellectual intercourse, if you were persuasive, I'd buy it.

I was at a conference. I was taking four days of my life to learn something. Don't waste my time with crap. And when I call you on it, if I am wrong, tell me how I am wrong. Let's not all insult each other with schmoozing.

Right?

No comments: