Friday, March 26, 2010

Literature Review

I may just stop assigning literature reviews because every time I read them the students are plagiarizing. Do they not understand that if they are reviewing someone else's work that there MUST be some citing of the work somewhere? That turning in an assignment without a bibliography is completely UNACCEPTABLE?

What are they teaching them in those required writing courses? Or do they think those skills only belong in that four month semester?

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

More - what is with the freaking present tense? The author is writing now? In your bedroom as you do your literature review? Really?

Unknown said...

I would happily teach a documentation thing for you. Or give you the materials.

And, yes, they think that avoiding plagiarism only exists is the prof. makes a big deal about it. (And I make a big deal about it.)

Scott said...

They're writing in the present tense because the text is saying what it says in the present.

They're not citing because they don't make the connection between their composition classes and their other classes. Perhaps if you yelled at them that you know for a fact that they learned this stuff in their composition classes it would help?

The Numismatist said...

I've thought about returning to school for a few classes. I just changed my mind.

Professors are scary people.

Unknown said...

Tomorrow - I would LOVE to have you come and teach it to my methods course. Yes? Next spring is when I teach it next - put it on your calendar - and I will book you next year! Scott, I do. I say, I know for a fact that you learn this in your comp classes, but do you need to go over it and they all say, nope we got it, and then NO CITATIONS!! Um - should I be okay with the present tense? I don't think so, right?

And Numi - you would never plagiarize...smile...

Eris said...

Amen.