Wednesday, June 14, 2006

the First Amendment Does Not Apply to Us

Garcetti v Carballos
May 30, 2006.

In a 5-to-4 decision, the court held that public employees' free-speech rights are protected when they speak out as citizens on matters of public concern, but not when they speak out in the course of their official duties.


This is a major concern because it may apply to professors at public universities. Those of us who have chosen to teach at public universities because we feel strongly about doing public service in our career may be at risk. I do not think it is a public service to not speak because some organization, Students for Academic Freedom says you aren't teaching them what they want to hear or basically that you are not indoctrinating them in the conservative right message. I do not think it is a public service to not speak because David Horowitz thinks professors who are liberal are dangerous.

My dissertation adviser is a Republican. He worked with Dick Cheney while in Washington, D.C. Another member of my committee is a Democrat. He was educated at Berkeley. Both were very clear about their politics in private and both were excellent professors. Neither indoctrinated me and made me political based on their views. I went to a public university for my graduate degree and never felt stifled to offer my opinion as they did not feel stifled to offer their opinion.

I wonder what Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson would think about this ruling that basically says they could not speak freely while serving in the first Cabinet of the United States. No, I need not wonder, I know exactly what they would think.

No comments: