Thursday, October 11, 2007

Scary Day

Yesterday I went to the emergency room. I had never been to the emergency room, so I now feel I am an expert in all things hospital: surgery, OB, emergency. Here's the story why:

I was in a meeting with my department chair and a colleague. They were discussing something interesting - I'm sure, I don't know because my brain went on the fritz. I was trying to take notes and discovered I couldn't get my hands to write contact. CONTACT. So I began to panic. And then I couldn't write at all. I worked very hard to just write words and I couldn't. Then my arm went numb and I had a headache. I thought, here I am dying of a brain aneurysm and the last thing I will hear is my department chair pontificating about some bullshit. I get out of the meeting, make it through chatting with my colleague (which is fine since he's a bud) and then I get to my office and call my husband. I sink down against the wall to rationalize with him how I do not have to go to the doctor. He makes me call and I get referred to emergent care who says I have to not stop go and immediately check into the emergency room. So Paul picks me up, after dropping the Princess off at a friend's for babysitting (and now I am thinking she'll grow up without a mother) and off we go. The ER doc suggests it could be a mild stroke (which I am way too young to have had) or multiple sclerosis (which has more symptoms than I had) or a major migraine (but the headache isn't strong enough) ... I'm hoping for the last possibility. They connect all these wires to me, check my heart, take a bunch of blood, put me through a cat scan, and then I wait for results. Let me tell you my great-grandfather died of a brain aneurysm. He checked into the emergency room and never checked out. So this is what I am thinking. Telling Paul what to do if I die, where the bills are, etc etc. Called my dad. Tried to act all calm and shit. The results came back and there is nothing to cause these symptoms. So off I go to the neurologist today to have my brain checked.

Can I tell you how tired I am of having to go to the doctor???

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy crap!

You know ... you can always call for help. We'll be there.

Eris said...

I've heard your department chair's pontificating can have these kind of effects. He should have a freaking warning label...

Seriously, we're here for ya.