Wednesday, February 24, 2010

About Utah

It looks like we'll be staying here for a while. I have been thinking about why I like Utah so much, given how not like me that is.

A million years ago, when I was 18, I traveled to Tempe, Arizona for a Bowl Game - back when Syracuse actually won football games. And I remember getting off the plane and feeling comfortable - for the first time ever. At the time I thought I must be having some connection with some former life lived in the southwest. I had the same feeling eight years ago when I arrived for a job interview and then came out to find a home. Maybe my Type A, fast paced personality really thrives in the laid back western culture.

My husband spent the months between my job acceptance and our arrival reading the local newspaper online and looking at pictures and learning everything he could about Ogden, Utah. He really committed early - probably earlier than I did. When we moved I said to my usually homesick self, self, we are not leaving Utah for at least one year so we can make sure we give it a chance. And I did. And the weird thing is, when I went to New York, I only missed it for the first couple of hours after leaving. For the first time in my life I lived very far away from my people and was not homesick at all. And while I like to get home in the summers to spend time on my lake in the Adirondacks, I also like to get back to Utah in the summers as well.

Whenever I say to him, would you like to look for work back east, he says, why? We love it here. And he's right, we love it here.

4 comments:

The Numismatist said...

We love it that you love it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eris said...

So glad to have you!

noelle willes sadler said...

That... and we wouldn't let you leave if you did get a job back east :) You are too loved here.