Thursday, July 13, 2006

on my Neuroses

I have been home for a wedding event and I have so much to blog from said event, that I have decided to talk about something else entirely. I will have funny stories soon.

But today's blog will be about how funny I am. Not funny as in I make people roar at the witty things I say, but funny in that I am neurotic in strange ways. I back seat drive, very politely, but I am trying to help you not kill me while I am in your car...at the same time I drive like a lunatic. The cleaning in my house can only be done one way and my husband and I fight when he does not comply...at the same time I bitch when he doesn't help me. I try to take care of everyone around me who I care about...at the same time I am annoyed when people try to help me.

These are all things I am working on with my therapist. All things that make me funny, luckily as an adult I can laugh at myself when I do this. Case in point, last night while driving with friends I advised the driver what a lane-ending sign meant. Because, clearly he didn't know after having driven since he was 14. But you see, that's funny and I laugh at myself for being neurotic. Very helpful to laugh and encourage other people to laugh as well, helps clear out the neurotic effect.

Anyway, the big thing I am neurotic about is organization. I am super organized, almost with facist intensity. No one I know is as intense with the types of organization that I am. I have a million calendars because I am in the constant quest for the best form of organization. Right now Google calendar seems to be working well. I have a million bags to carry my million calendars because I am constantly searching for the best bag. I have not found it, but now I am working on the best way to store my million bags. Everything in my life goes in a particular box or folder and as a result I have many versions of boxes and folders, and many times I reorganize the boxes and folders because they could always be organized better. I am currently in a search for the best way to store the old boxes and folders because I know they will come in vogue with me again.

I arrive home and I have a ton of work to do. But I can't do the work until I have properly charted my productivity. You see, I even organize myself. I call in a friend to say, look at my excel chart that will plot how much work I have done. I have spent one hour on this today. I am very proud. He directs me to the following podcast.

http://www.43folders.com/2006/07/06/just-a-cup/#more-591

Good thing I don't drink coffee or I would be in a never-ending quest for the perfect coffee cup and then the perfect way to store the coffee cup. (in case the sarcasm doesn't register, of course I get the point of the podcast, but see how funny I am that I am thinking there probably is a better coffee cup)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is it OK that we think the driving thing is funny?!?!?

Unknown said...

OMG...I think it is funny!!! I am glad that I am neurotic but know enough that it's funny and people can laugh at me...I laughed so hard at myself as the words came out of my mouth...