Friday, August 11, 2006

I am Such a Loser

Last night, because I am such a loser, I sat in a movie theater with about 300 band geeks watching Drum Corps International which was being fed to select theaters around the nation via satellite. It was the quarter finals in Madison, Wisconsin and I felt like I was in band again. I watched show after show and critiqued the rifle line, the sabre line and the drum line. Of course I had no complaints of any lower brass line, as I once was lower brass and we are fabulous. I am not as much of a loser, however, as the people who sat near me who knew the names of every corps and shouted out boos to those they didn't like. I was thinking, dude, we're in a movie theater, they can't hear you. But there were many more of them than of me so I kept my mouth shut. Drum corps is fantastic. They "age out" at 21 so you can only do drum corps if you are young. And some of these kids were young.

I never did drum corps. When I was under the age of 21 I did not quite have the confidence to be that much of a band geek (one thing about band is you have to completely conform and take things very seriously and conformity and serious taking has never been a strong point of mine...I like to laugh at seriousness too much and I like to march to my own particular drummer) so I never did it. But I respond still to the marching and the drum major and the dazzle of many pinwheels.

And I will always love the drum line. I should have hooked up with a drummer at one point in my many years in band...my relationship history would include a lot more fun if I had just had sex with a drummer...smile.

No comments: