Wednesday, August 02, 2006

an Epiphany in Big Sky Country

I live in Utah which is known as Big Sky Country. What that basically means is you do not have to look up to see the sky, you can just look ahead of you and you will see blue sky. That's how vast it is here. I have only been here four years and thus have not seen everything yet. Yesterday I drove 3 hours southeast into Utah to a little town Roosevelt (one quick note, it's hard when you move somewhere new because you have NO idea how long it takes to get places...I know exact times from places to places in NY but out here I was like, I have no idea). It was stunningly beautiful. Then I drove back.

On the way back, while listening to Bob Dylan's early music, I began pondering my existence and wondering if what I was doing was the right thing. I have had a kind of bad year and really have only recently felt like I am swimming again rather than treading water trying not to drown. I am thus considering if I am swimming in the right direction, or has the recent bad year enlightened me to new paths I should be considering.

I had been on the Ute Indian Reservation teaching Ute Indian high school teachers about American government. The idea being they will then teach their students. It was very cool being there. And then driving back in the vastness that is that part of Utah, unlike anything I have ever seen and having done something unlike anything I have ever done, I passed a ford with a 'Support our Troops' sticker on it. As I often do, I take a look at who's driving. It's a 40 year old man wearing a Boy Scout uniform. (before you think I'm totally un-American, remember that I was teaching American Government to American Indians in the reddest state of the union...and I support our troops and for the most part I kind of support Boy Scouts). I think to myself, clearly he's not listening to Bob Dylan.

Then epiphany struck. I am doing exactly what I am supposed to be doing exactly where I am supposed to be doing it and everything's all right. This is a good life that I have forged for myself here in the western wilderness and although a hard rain has fallen I have survived. All is good in the universe and I can drive 90 mpg through the back roads of Utah and smile.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Red card for speeding (90mph???)!

Eris said...

I look at people with "Support our Troops" stickers, too! But I always wonder if they were patriotic enough to have voted.

PS - Driving to Roosevelt can lead anyone to ponder their existence.

Unknown said...

Oh well, you know, I believe a car has two speeds: moving and stopped. And I pretty much move as fast as I can move whenever I can.