Thursday, September 07, 2006

Gardening Feels Good

I am a scholar, which doesn't mean much other than mostly what I do is think. Try to write stuff down that seems intelligent and interesting. And then think some more. It can be rewarding, but it is not obvious at all that you have done anything.

So why do I enjoy gardening? Because at the end of the gardening impulse you have done something. There are no more weeds, or the lawn is shorter, or the roses are dead headed, or there are new plants, or just about anything.

Today hubby and I moved eight plants from our front garden (where it was just a bit too crowded) to our backyard (where there was not much going on). This was a major step for Paul, who seriously has been treating our back yard like a golf green. You were barely even allowed to walk on it 3 years ago. But today, we planted five plants in the lawn and three plants in the rock garden we have. We shoveled and dug and got our hands, feet, shirts, faces and knees dirty. We tore up sod and carried heavy plants around. We even used a wheelbarrow.

And at the end of 2 hours I could say, these plants were there and now they are here. I was tired from the digging and the moving and I will sleep well tonight. That is why, I think, God says those who work with their hands are the happiest people on earth.

1 comment:

Eris said...

Sounds awesome. We have had more fun with our garden this year than ever before. I actually like the smell of dirt now - who knew?