Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Disproportionate Response

My husband has suggested that my reaction to Hillary Clinton is disproportionate...or that I may be losing perspective.

I am rooting for Hillary Clinton like I root for the Yankees or the Orange, with every last visceral part of my soul. I have constructed vast conspiracy theories about Obama in my mind and I am often heard making comments about people with penises about the house. Luckily for our marriage Paul is also a Clinton supporter while not being so opposed to people with penises, or we might be divorcing soon.

Is this the wrong response? Have I gone completely around the bend? Intellectuals all around me say Obama is the guy, he's the next JFK, he's the hero...blah blah blah. Why? Because they have a single-issue approach to politics and believe that someone who voted for the war in Iraq should be shot (umm, here's some evidence of perhaps my loss of perspective). My response to this is I am from New York and any Senator from New York who didn't come out hawkish after 9/11 would be wrong; oh and I as a presidential scholar actually believe in a strong executive so I've got no problems with that either (I just want the strength behind the policies I believe in); oh and I am a woman. And for the love of God, since time immemorial men have been running this planet and we are now in an environmental crisis and we are now on the brink of another world war and we are now treating the poor worse than ever and religion has been allowed to dictate to every political decision forever - so, yeah, I'm tired of the penises and I am rooting for the woman.

And for the sake of my daughter, who I will teach that women can do anything, I am rooting for the woman.

Not at all out of perspective.

*** Follow up: yesterday on Jack Radio, I heard a commercial that said something along the lines of "if you listen to our radio station we will make all those promises Obama makes" ... hmmm, my opinion on him seems to be seeping albeit slowly into the popular culture ... seriously, doesn't he remind anyone else of that guy in high school who was full of crap??? Never mind that when he joined a shot drinking showdown he drank water ... PUHLEASE!!!

1 comment:

Eris said...

I don't know about disproportionate, but I do think you're a little hard on the guy. I admit that when I'm being cerebral I think Clinton is where I should be rooting. But then when I hear them speak, my inner sap takes over and I'm all about the Barack.

Honestly, my two reasons for voting Obama are the bet I have with my brother and the ~nice~ dream I had about Senator Obama. Oops, was that TMI?