Saturday, May 15, 2010

You know you're a political scientist when

The hubby and I had a fun fight the other night. I say fun because I don't think either of us were really all that angry and periodically throughout the arguing while I yelled profanities at him I laughed and he laughed - but it was a fight. It broke some underlying tension in our relationship free from behind the veil we hide these things and we dealt with it, a bit.

But you know you're a political scientist when you say to your husband the next day after a brawl, "I think the problem with our marriage right now is we are suffering from a lack of social capital" and he says "yeah, we're both real busy," and you say, "yeah, we're bowling alone, let's have a date." And the entire conversation makes sense to both of you because you've both read Putnam and it's a referent that works...

3 comments:

The Numismatist said...

So did you go bowling?

Unknown said...

Nope - we went to see Robin Hood - which we enjoyed...

Eris said...

I guess it's better than referencing Downs with something like, "I just feel like the benefits of this relationship aren't worth the effort." Because then the only rational choice is to split up.