Sunday, February 10, 2008

Conference

For the longest time I had thought a particular brand of pedagogy was bullshit. I did not like discussions about service-learning. I was not persuaded it had any value. I thought it was a way for people to not do good teaching in the classroom. This weekend I was invited to a S-L conference, and as I have an open mind I went. As it turned out, I was completely wrong. The deal is most people of my acquaintance have been doing S-L wrong (or at least not well) and so what I thought was crap actually was crap but was not what the pedagogy entailed. I am persuaded. I am excited to move forward in trying this out. Students were there telling stories about their experience, and while most of the students were idiots, these were very compelling for why this pedagogy is good.

Thanks to my colleagues for having such a naysayer along.

No comments: