Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Cops

So, last week I was pulled over.

I was learning a short cut from a friend so I wasn't paying attention, seriously and literally. We were chatting, she was telling me where to go, blah blah blah. Here's the story.

The sirens go on. My friend says, Leah I think you are being pulled over. I say, I think you're right. I pull over. The cop says, ma'am do you know why I am pulling you over? I say, because my tags are expired? He says, I didn't even notice that, so no, I am pulling you over because you rolled a stop sign back there and you were doing 40 in a 25. I say, I didn't even see the stop sign so I'm pretty sure I didn't roll it, I bet I ran it. And, are you kidding, it's not 35 through here? He says, no. He continues that he'd been following me for 2 blocks with his lights on and I didn't notice him until he put on the sirens. I say, no kidding? Well, as you can tell I'm chatting with my friend and I'm not looking around or in my rearview. He says, do you have a good driving record. I say, yes, I've never gotten a ticket. Which is true, in Utah. He says, give me a minute. He goes back to his car. He comes back with an invitation to traffic school. If I go to traffic school, it's like I never got pulled over for the 2 (oh yeah, 3 things since I gave him the expired tags) citation opportunities. My friend says, you just missed like a $200 ticket. I say, no shit, I'm lucky.

Today my husband says, Leah, is this the cop that pulled you over. I say, yes it is. He says, look closer. I look, and there is a picture of me in the city newspaper getting pulled over by the cop, in a story about meth use. Just for the record, I am not a meth user, I don't even know what meth looks like. But there I am in all my minivan driving glory, getting pulled over.

I can't catch a break!

2 comments:

The Numismatist said...

Can't catch a break?! Are you kidding?

It sounds to me like you got more than your share of breaks on this one, including having a reporter on site who was documenting what a nice policeman Officer Read is! Now go gratefully to your traffic school class and smile sweetly through the entire four hours!

Eris said...

Fantastic! I have to agree with the Numismatist on this one: you got lucky. Man, did I need that laugh, though.