Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Night

I just spent some time with my students at a restaurant watching the results come in. It was fun. I've done this now 3 different times and it is so much fun to sit with a whole new generation of political junkies.

It reminds me of watching the returns in 1994. I stood there crying because the world had ended - remember Republicans won everything, including some idiot from Peekskill beating Mario Cuomo. I was devastated. And my professor looked at me and said, Leah, children will still eat tomorrow. It's not the end of the world. And he was right - kind of - smile - and now I realize I'm the professor saying, half the country survived the last eight years, you'll survive the next eight.

I love my life.

1 comment:

Eris said...

I just sent an email to Jubee telling her basically the same thing. Only my "crying in my beer" political story is of the 1984 election. I was 7 and I cried all night when Mondale/Ferraro lost. Oh, to be young again.

PS - I think "barely survived" would be the best way to describe how the country made it through the last 8 years.