Friday, May 18, 2007

My Talk on Television

Last week I was famous for a moment, being interviewed on a local talk show about a Hannity-Anderson debate. I was objective and analytic...because that's who I am when I am being professional. I do not spew my politics as a professor, I NEVER use my expertise as a way to tell people my politics. I never have and I never will.

Interestingly, I have been sent 4-5 emails from conservatives who claim I must be a conservative because I didn't trash Hannity. I've gotten 4-5 emails from liberals who claim I must be a conservative because I didn't trash Hannity. I would love to respond - of course I don't - that Hannity doesn't determine my politics. I may agree with something he says and I may disagree with something he says...but what he says doesn't make me a liberal or conservative.

Trust me, I could trash Hannity with the best of them. I had to pace the room in order to keep my dinner down while I listened to Hannity's presentation. But you see, my disgust at his behavior is personal. Professionally I think he offers something to the world, and as I was being interviewed as an expert in civic engagement/youth in politics I spoke to that point.

That doesn't mean I'm a conservative. That means I'm a good political scientist.

2 comments:

Eris said...

Those emailers don't know anything: OBVIOUSLY, you are liberal because you didn't take your husband's name.

Unknown said...

Well, it's not like my tag line said Leah A. Murray (btw her husband's last name is Goggi)...maybe that would have solved the problem...and I guess they also didn't notice I was 6 months pregnant on television, clearly working while pregnant...