Monday, January 07, 2008

Parking at my Campus

In most of the world professionals are given a parking spot. Here in the academy, we have to pay some amount of money to get a parking pass and then we are launched into a Darwinian competition with everyone of the 17000 people coming to campus a day to find a spot. I arrived for my first day of the semester 1 hour and 15 minutes early, thinking I'd have time to unwind, settle in and then teach. I drove around for 45 minutes, thus arriving almost late and had to hike through the cold weather to get to my office.

Insert all sorts of big swear words here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you get stuck behind people on Birch who couldn't get through the snow? That took me 15 minutes.

Unknown said...

No, I almost killed a kid whose mother had him shoveling the street, though. That was fun. Mine was purely a parking issue.

Unknown said...

*We* need to be able to apply boots to cars. A lot of boots.

Eris said...

That sounds awful. I don't park on campus - I quadruple my commute time by riding the train to my class, but I don't have to worry about those stinking parking spots!