Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Plowing

I have often discussed the differences between Utah and New York. But this is the one that makes me so annoyed my head explodes. In New York we have snow. We have wet, blinding Nor'Easter snow. You can stand beneath a streetlight and know there is a light there because the snow looks a little whiter, but there is no pole that you can make out. And you could drive everywhere - why? because we were taxed and we had plows. I have many students who come through and who think any type of government means communism. I have friends who think this. And I always wonder what they think as they go slipping and sliding into other cars because our free western society (that doesn't let us drink beer or wine or liquor or go to the movies on Sunday...but that's a different rant) doesn't tax and therefore doesn't have money to plow.

This morning I got up to go to the gym to work out with my girlfriends. 20 minutes later I had gone 3 streets, so, I'm pissed.

4 comments:

Stan said...

True. I waited at a bus stop for 45 minutes this morning. About 6 trucks (possibly more) drove by without dropping their plows. All were city trucks.

Bear in mind that I was waiting for a bus on Washington Blvd. (the main thoroughfare of Ogden). WTF?

-Joe

Unknown said...

Dude our street has not been plowed ONCE today...not ONCE. I mean, seriously, who do you have to be sleeping with to get a plow down your street ONCE!

Eris said...

Yeh, I shoveled out my driveway at 1 so I could pick up my kid at 2:30 - by 2:15 I couldn't get out of the driveway because all the snow in the street left me completely stranded.

No plows + living on a hill = no travel on days like today.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.