Thursday, October 26, 2006

Moral Indignation Averted

One thing I cannot stand about myself is how I get hurt feelings, tremendously, highly sensitive, hard to rationally pull myself back together, hurt feelings. This is why I will never run for office, I do not have a thick skin. Case in point, but I was proud of the outcome.

Today I get shin splints again...well I guess I'll have them forever but they HURT...so I ask the boot camp trainer about it. She replies, look you can quit or you can power through it. And I sheepishly walk away and say, no no, I don't want to quit, I just want to make sure I am not doing more damage. By the time I get in my car, I am completely pissed that she was so dismissive. I mean, damnit, they HURT. And, damnit, I don't want to be told to just quit, I want to be told some neat stretches to do, or something. By the time I was halfway home, I am completely in realization that I am not pissed at her but at myself for asking the damn question. I know the two options with shin splints are quit or power through it and I wonder at why I asked...is it because I want her to know how painful this is and how fantastic I am that I am powering through it? And I think (despair despair) the answer is yes...ARGH! How silly to want her to know that! By the time I am home, I am dancing into the house (like I have after every boot camp because I feel great) thinking I will power through this and it will hurt but it will be fabulous.

My feelings were hurt (as they usually are) but I was able to rationally pull out of it within 15 minutes...that may be a new record.

Oh, and, shin splints be damned!

1 comment:

Eris said...

Consider your back patted for the 15 minutes thing.

It usually takes me imagining the other person's numerous faults for about 30 minutes to get over hurt feelings. But that is why you are clearly a better person than I.