Tuesday, October 10, 2006

My Bohemian Self

I have a vague sense of deja vu that I have perhaps written about this before...but oh well...here goes.

I just watched Rent the movie. I have seen Rent on Broadway. I love this musical. I have the soundtrack. I love the soundtrack. I made husband watch it (grudgingly as he is not a fan of musicals) and he kept saying oh yeah you love this song...because he's heard all the songs a million times having been with me ever since I saw the original musical.

I love that people dying of AIDS are shown with compassion and without judgment. How many times have I heard someone say you get AIDS because you have done something wrong (drugs, casual sex)? How often have we heard some crazy wacko say AIDS is the cure? In how many ways can we treat people badly? And..thank God people like Jonathan Larson write musicals to challenge the way we think. To challenge the mainstream.

I also like to think that in some parallel universe there is a Duchess who doesn't love dishes and Burberry and Levenger and wasn't committed to walking the straight and narrow all the time.

That Duchess is a Bohemian...I bet she is having a fabulous life.

1 comment:

Eris said...

I like to imagine my Bohemian counterpart, as well. I'll bet she kisses other girls and much more...

PS - RENT the movie was great, except the rocker, mullet guy. He was not meant for the big screen. But Jessie Martin - yum. Taye Diggs - YUM. Oh, and the girl from Wicked -perfect!