Monday, December 11, 2006

My Cousins Down Under

I just discovered a comment from my fabulous cousin in Australia. I was so happy to see her comment - even though it was a sad post she was responding to - that I felt the need to just wax about my Australian cousins.

My grandmother came from Australia, which is still home even though she has lived in the United States for more than sixty years and only lived there about 25. She was a WWII bride and ended up living in Rotterdam, New York for her entire life. Her younger brother had four children who all had children and as a result, I have many first cousins once removed and second cousins in Australia. They are wonderful and I love to see my family, which, amazingly enough, has happened with not too infrequent regularity.

When I earned my Ph.D. all I asked for from my father was a trip to Australia and he took me (which is really nice gift for graduation). We went for about 3 weeks in the summer of 2003 and I am dying to get back. I keep hoping I will somehow be able to do a faculty exchange there so I can spend a bunch of time and not be just a visitor.

Anyway...thank you so much for commenting, Sue, and I can't wait to see you again!

No comments: