Thursday, December 28, 2006

Pet Sitting

I have been pet sitting for my friends.

First I pet sat (is that a word?) for my friends who have 2 cats and 2 dogs. I spent most of my time there because puppies need to be loved. As a result, I didn't get much sleep as one puppy was so bummed at his mommy and daddy being gone that he whined until about 11pm at night and got me up at 445am in the morning. But they were all very sweet and cute and we had a good time.

Second I pet sat for my friends who have 4 cats and a bird. Two of the cats have diabetes, which means I stick them with insulin twice a day each. I have become an expert at sticking, so I am particularly good at this. But, one of the cats is drastically misunderstood. I am a bit afraid of her so my friend, a vet (it's always good to have a vet for a friend if you are going to pet sit), comes over to stick her once a day. This entails throwing a towel over her and poking her while she screams. Very exciting.

On the first day of my pet sitting, my vet friend says we need to rush the other diabetic cat to the vet (her husband) so we do. He tells us we're drama queens and that we need to soak his feet in an epsom salt bath for 20 minutes a day. I look at him, I mean, have you ever soaked a cat? And he says yes, seriously. So, now my pet sitting includes sticking two diabetic cats twice a day, soaking one of their cats' feet in epsom salt bath, and feeding a bird who yells at me when I leave the room. All in all, not the best way to spend a vacation, but not really a bad time as I love all these animals and I love my friend who goes with me to take care of the cats.

Today the worst thing that can happen to a pet sitter happened. I walked downstairs to stick the little diabetic cat who has already been to the vet once this trip and he is lying on the floor having a seizure. I cannot explain how awful this looked, I cannot do this poor little meow meow's pain justice. I immediately call my friend and her husband (who is on vacation from his vetting) answers. I say garble garble panic panic blah blah. He says take him to the vet. So I rush the kitty into his crate, into my car, and I drive a million miles an hour (oh by the way, yes I drive like a bat out of hell) to the vet. I am sobbing and talking to him, asking him not to die. My friend's husband goes in on his day off to meet me there and basically the kitty is having seizures. We will be waiting for final results over the next couple of hours, but it doesn't look good. I am devastated. Absolutely devastated.

I have been crying on and off all day. I hope that the kitty survives but I am steeling myself for a life or death decision where I have to hold him while he dies. Maybe I don't want to pet sit anymore.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you. I know Calvin needed you and you were there for him. I'm so grateful for the time you spent with him.

Tiffany PinkDog said...

I came here from Shelley's blog. I adopt older animals and lose one to old age every few months. They never just "die in their sleep". You always have to make the decision and hug them while they take the shot and stop breathing. It's freaky and devastating and I'm so sorry you had to go through this.

I know I don't know you, but I'm thinking of you all the same.

Unknown said...

I have to tell you, I can't imagine losing an animal every few months. I'm not sure my heart could take it and I truly admire you for doing what you do. Every animal, even older animals, need a home and someone to hug them while they take the shot...shit I'm crying again.

Anonymous said...

I'm also a friend of Shelley's and want to say thank you for being there with Calvin at the end. I can't even imagine how difficult that must have been for you, but I know how much it means to Shelley that you were with him. I'm truly sorry for what you've had to go through, but thank you for being such a good friend to Shelley, Scott, Calvin, and the rest of the animals at their house. Your love and friendship means so much!