Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Junction

This post will probably earn my crucifiction by the Weber County Forum who do not like anyone to speak who disagree with them.

Friday in the New York Times Ogden was featured. And dude, I mean FEATURED. Big story. Big article. Nice big pictures. All about how fabulous our city is and why people would want to come here. Considering the NYT is a national newspaper, our fair city just got fabulous coverage all over the nation. Friday in Ogden the Duchess and the husband went down to the new junction mall that opened last week. Today we went again. We love it down there. It was packed. It was fun. The new theaters are fabulous.

Why will I be crucified? Well, here we go: the mayor of Ogden deserves major kudos. He won't get them, but he deserves them. I moved here five years ago to pretty much a ghetto (well, as close as you get to ghetto in Utah which is not very close). Now the city is hopping. It's fun to be downtown. My house has appreciated quite a bit. I am proud to be from here. My family come to visit and they comment every time that the city looks better than the last time they were here. I will vote for this mayor again, considering he runs again. I may even publicly campaign for him, I am considering it.

I have been told this opinion makes me an outsider. Clearly because I wasn't born here, my opinion doesn't count (the $ I spend in taxes notwithstanding). I have been told this makes me part of the Godfrey amen choir (my opinion is somehow suspect when it happens to align with the mayor's). I have been told by some they will no longer speak with me if I publicly support Godfrey (my acquaintanceship apparently is contingent on my politics).

But I will say this. I am happy to live here now. I will probably not move, ever. Thank you Mayor Godfrey.

3 comments:

Eris said...

So many thoughts...
1. I am looking forward to visiting the Junction. Although it could never give me as much joy as did the Orange Julius in the Ogden City Mall.
2. Wasn't born here, but lived 97% of my life here and I agree the Boy Mayor deserves kudos. but I just can't get behind the gondola...
3. Ogden is pretty nice for a ghetto. And you know it's ghetto because I can send my kid for free lunch even during the summer. Thank Heaven the municipality is raising my kid for me.
4. I will NEVER see a movie at the new theater - it's a Larry H. Miller theater and he tried to keep me from watching gay cowboys kiss.
5. The New York Times? Who reads that?

Unknown said...

Let me say for the record that I moved here from a serious ghetto (a real city in the Northeast)...so that was a bit tongue in cheek about the downtown and those theaters are nice, nice, nice.

Anonymous said...

As you know there is only one voice ever put forth on this blog - hence you are correct in refering to it as a singular entity. However, if you have been reading it you would see many posts speaking highly of the Junction and hoping that it will do well and even stating that the mayor deserves some credit for it. That said, you will also find posts that worry about the debt the city incurred - some of it possibly in violation of federal law (borrowing from the BDO).
Lastly, I'll echo Eris - the gondola is the Mayor's major downfall. And it appears he realizes this since now that the campaign season has begun he has started to backpedal on it. But I'm sure if he's elected he will again be pushing to sell off Ogden's public lands to a private developer - the very public lands mind you that have contributed to Ogden's improved reputation across the country - and pushing for a tax payer funded gondola through the city.
But have fun campaigning for him