Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day in Utah

Election Day in Utah seems a bit useless. As a rule, the state will vote Republican except for Jim Matheson, who may as well be a Republican. It is a conservative, traditionalistic state to which the status quo is better than any change, even if it took people in a better direction. This is all okay. I am okay with all of this. My friend last night suggested that he and I had never lived somewhere where it mattered where we voted so what was the point.

At first, I agreed with that until I started to think about where I have lived. I grew up in Rotterdam, New York which was a Democratic party machine forever. Thus, no point to vote. Then as I moved, it switched over to a Republican party system. Hmm. Then I lived in Syracuse, New York, in Jim Walsh's district. Syracuse as a city grew up as a Republican machine in opposition to the Democratic machine in NYC (kind of interesting, I think). No one should ever win there who is not a Republican. Except Jim Walsh is in trouble this year. Then I lived in Coxsackie, NY (hahahaha, I know it's a funny name) which is in the district of Sweeny. This district is especially drawn for a Republican by the NY Senate to cover every house near Albany that is a voting Republican. This guy has been guaranteed the election by his district drawing. And he just might lose today. And those changes just might depend on people saying even though it doesn't matter if I vote, I will vote anyway.

So off I head to the new machines here in Utah (I will probably blog this experience later) to cast my vote where it doesn't matter if I vote.

And, for the record (for anyone who is keeping a record), today in boot camp I climbed a wall and did the football jump string thing (I am sure that's not the name) with a 20 - 25lb backpack on my back after doing push ups, ski jumps, jump ropes, walking push ups, tricep pull downs, etc etc. When the workers of the world unite, I will be ready for the war!

No comments: