Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My Old Car

I have an old car. In case you didn't realize about me, the deal is I only drive a car that gets good mileage because I don't care what it looks like. I have no aesthetic conceptualization capacity when it comes to automobiles...or, I can't figure out why a mustang is a good looking car and a sedan is not. I just don't get it at all. So, I drive whatever car I have that happens to work.

Currently I am driving a hand me down which was bought used by my mother. My husband is driving the car I bought new eight years ago and paid off in perfect time without ever having missed a payment or having been late. I don't know if Paul would prefer a car that is pretty, but he doesn't seem to care either as long as his Sirius works. My car now does not have a left directional, which means I have to drive with my hand out indicating when I am turning left. This sucks. Mostly because it sucks to hang your hand out the window and now that it is snowing my window doesn't always work. I am planning on taking it to the mechanic this week and hopefully he can fix it. But my understanding of Mazdas, especially ten year old ones, is their parts aren't made very often so I may be driving with my left hand out for some time now. And as I do not want a car payment, it could be for quite a while.

BTW, to all my skiing friends, the resorts are opening Wednesday...now ask me again, why do I live in Utah? Oh yeah, it's frickin' beautiful and I can frickin' ski before Thanksgiving...

4 comments:

Eris said...

For 6 years we drove a 1988 Buick Century that was given to us by Mr. Eris's parents. It smelled, had leaky everything and the ceiling fabric was always falling down on your head.

But it ran like a champ until the bitter end and it was free! Man, I miss not having a car payment.

Unknown said...

Well, my car has two broken axles, the left directional's combination relay broke, and it will cost me an arm and a leg to break the car out of the mechanic. I drove by this morning at 530am on the way to boot camp and my little car was up on the lift thing with its hood open. But I do figure, it was free, it gets 30mpg, and the cost will be less than two months' car payment. But ooof...right before Christmas.

Laurence Modithre said...

For some car owners, car looks doesn't matter at all. As long as it works properly and saves fuel, its a thumbs-up for them. However, looks are what we look into first. A good-looking car will get more attention than a good-running car. Anyways, it's all about preference. :)

Quentin Sanz said...

Hmm, a lot of people think that sedans and mustangs are good-looking cars. Well, your Sirius car works well, huh. Did you have any major repairs on it ever since you bought it? Well, you really took good care of it cause only a few people can make their car run smoothly for 8 years, right?